|MINISTER: Rev. David Cranney
(07) 5450 5983 |
SESSION CLERK: Mr. Cliff Bradburn (07) 5445 9858
The first service in the North Coast district (as it was then known) was conducted at Dulong by Rev. R.H. Roberts (circa 1870s). This followed the timber-getters (harvesting the red cedars along the Blackall Range) and the early settlers in the area.
On the 10th November 1905 a church was opened in Nambour (in Currie St). Over the following few years, other churches were opened in the surrounding area, namely Palmwoods , Bli Bli , and Yandina .
Presbyterianism slowly worked its way up the coast during the first decade of the twentieth century.
Cooroy was an outpost of the Nambour Charge served by Mr A.M.Martin in the 1900s.
In 1911, the Superintendent of Home Missions, A Rev. Richard Kerr, initiated a separate charge from Nambour encompassing Eumundi, Cooroy, West Cooroy, Cooran, Pomona, and Traveston.
In 1924, a small building was erected in Cooroy for a Sunday School. This was demolished five years later, enabling materials to be used to to build a church that was opened in August 1929.
From this time to the start of the Second World War, the Cooroy charge experienced a series of successions in home missions.
When Mr C.D.Sydney served from 1941-45, the charge sustained substantial growth such that they purchased a manse and Presbytery, in 1948, expected Cooroy to become a sanctioned charge.
Nambour became a sanctioned charge in 1944.
Officially opened and dedicated on 28 June 1958, a new building, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Memorial Church, was located on Coronation Ave.
The Uniting Church in Australia was established on 22 June 1977, which absorbed most of the Nambour Presbyterian assets, including the new church building.
The current building was purchased in 1970s from Yandina Roman Catholic Church and transported to its current location at Solandra St.
The first recorded presence in Eumundi was in 1933, with a Presbyterian Sunday School in the School of Arts Hall. They worshipped in the Masonic Hall and occasionally in the Methodist Church.
After many years of saving (since 1936), the church donated much of the building fund to the war effort.
After 1951, land was purchased on the current site in Eumundi. The last remaining church in Eumundi, St Andrews Presbyterian, was opened 4th August 1953.
It is the last remaining church building of worship in Eumundi.
In 2018, the Eumundi church was prayerfully divided to the Maroochydore Presbyterian Church.
THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY
The Nambour Presbyterian Church is now by God's grace, preparing for the next stage in our service to the Lord. After an interim period of spiritual reflection and healthy growth, we are imminently reaching out to the local communities on the Sunshine Coast with the gospel.
We are focussed at equipping the saints to live according to God's Word, that we might give Him the glory and enjoy His presence in this modern era.
|Source: Bardon, Richard. (1949) The
Centenary History of the Presbyterian Church of Queensland [W.R.Smith
& Patterson; Brisbane]